Moving to Phelps
International Students Moving Guide
You’ve been admitted as an international Phelps student, congratulations!
Let us help you get ready to join us:
- Students’ travel to and from Phelps is arranged by the family. (The school can arrange for pick-up from the airport or local train station.)
- At the start of the school year, returning international students mentor new international students as they settle into life at Phelps.
- If a new international student needs personal items for his dormitory room, transportation and help with a quick shopping spree can be provided.
- Our English as a Second Language Orientation Program begins one week before the start of the school year in late August. This program is designed to help new international students get acclimated and prepared for classes and life on campus.
- Students live in seven dormitories.
- Faculty members reside in each building and are available to assist and supervise students as needed.
- More information can be found in our residential life section. (link)
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Students (and/or their parents) must make their travel reservations well in advance and notify the Dean of Students. The school can provide transportation to and from the train station and airport at the start of each vacation period.
- The Phelps School has successfully integrated international students into the American educational system for many years.
- We have a 100% acceptance rate among our international graduates who apply to American colleges and universities.
- We require a TOEFL score of 90 before allowing students to enter mainstream classes. We handle arrangements for juniors and seniors to take the TOEFL test at various times throughout the year.
Many enduring friendships are formed on the playing fields.
Our interscholastic sports teams:
- Cross Country
- Studio Art
- Indoor sports
- Various Games upon student request
- Activities and off campus
- On-campus movies
- Inter-dorm sports competitions
- Trips to the local shopping mall or Philadelphia shopping
- Dances with girls’ schools
- Trips to professional sports events in Philadelphia – football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, even WWF wrestling bouts.
- Trips to concerts, theater productions, museums, movie theaters, local restaurants
- Hiking, rafting and The Renaissance Faire trips are scheduled in season.